Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Boys (and Girls) of summer...and fall

I'll just apologize to start off, there will not be any pictures of puppies today in the blog. I'm sorry, if you came here thinking of me as your one-stop shop for everything puppyness, you're partially incorrect. We all enjoyed the pictures of little Hank on Monday's post, but some things are best done in moderation. Notice I said 'some things,' alcohol is not one of those things, the more the merrier with booze. Another thing that is best not done in moderation is kicking peoples asses during races. Like booze, the more ass you can kick, the better. I mention this cause the weather is turning nicer and race season is starting to heat up, I'd say it's at a simmer right now, but come next month it will be at a full boil. (I guess I meant that last sentence to pertain to running and tri races, but auto racing is also getting in full swing with the start of Indycar, Formula 1, and ALMS so that is good. At least there are options other than NASCAR on Sunday afternoons now which is outstanding. Last weekend all 4 disciplines had races so it was a veritable racing orgy of sorts which I appreciated. And like an orgy, I had a boner for an extended period of time, I will not confirm or deny if ED drugs were used.)

But, I think most of us that are training for a certain event(s) can now see the finish line (literally and figuratively I guess) and all those indoor workouts over the winter are looking to pay off in the racing arena. As I talk to friends who are training you can tell everyone has spring fever and is itching to see if all the hard work is going to be worth it and take precious minutes off of their times. Last weekend I got the first taste of competition on my tongue, and I'm definately ready for more. With my introduction into triathlons, I've noticed how fun it is to look and talk about tri equipment, mainly bikes. Basically everyone I know has gotten a new bike and it feels like the day after Christmas where we're all calling/emailing each other to talk about our new toy. In running, you don't have this aspect. No one calls each other to talk about their new Brooks Defyance running shoes (which I just got last week, they're really nice). This will be a fun year to hear about everyone's racing experiences, with my exit from auto racing (and lack of travelling) I'll now have the time to focus on racing myself and be a part of the community which will be a good change. The main thing I'm excited about since I'll be doing more races this year is collecting as many race shirts as possible, another case of the more the merrier. I love technical shirts and unlike my collection of hoodies, my tech shirt collection needs some help, after this race season that will change. I plan on doing any and every race that is within 2 hours of Columbus. I'll keep a scoreboard on here to let you know how the collection is coming.

I hope everyone does well this race season and is able to meet/exceed their personal expecations, and is able to stay healthy. On that point, what is it with girl's falling on bikes? 3 girls I know have fallen on their bikes recently, 0 guys have. What's going on here ladies? Seriously, we need to get this figured out! I'm excited to get into tri's and do my first race, I think they'll be a lot of fun. I looked on the web and found out that the average income for a triathlete is $126,000, I'm glad that I can help bring down the mean big time. The next race on my schedule is the Pittsburgh half marathon on Sunday, May 3. I should be able to get into the 1:30's pretty easily I think, but we'll see. 2009 race season stats so far, 1 race, 1 PR, 1 technical shirt.

Enough about racing, at the night job a few days ago I came up with what is widely being considered one of the best nicknames ever. This one black guy wears these matching light brown Dickies shirts and pants to work, eventhough only full time drivers get uniforms (which are possibly brown at the company I work for). He has a matching dark brown set as well and he looks like of funny cause everyone else is dressed so casually. He looks like a zoo keeper, so I nicknamed him Brian Fellow, which was a character portrayed by Tracy Morgan on a Saturday Night Live skit called 'Brian Fellow's Safari Planet.' Here's a clip if you don't remember the skit:



Everybody at work loves this nickname and it's pretty obvious the guy doesn't seem too enthused about it. He looks like a tool though, and I think it's hilarious. All night you can hear people yelling 'FELLOWS!' at him whenever he drives by on his forklift. He'll probably come in and shoot up the joint one of these days, but it's funny in the meantime. And another black guy nicknamed me Birdman, a reference to Larry Bird, cause he said I talked so much trash for a white guy. This is one of the nicest things I've ever heard.

I'm not sure if I'm going to write about LOST tomorrow, our relationship is kind of going through a rocky phase right now so I'm taking a step back. I have quite a few other things I want to write about so I'll probably get another post up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment