Monday, January 19, 2009

A Tough Weekend- Part 1

I'm not gonna sugar coat this one kids, this weekend was a pretty big kick in the jewels to your old friend Hoops. Who would have thought that sitting around the house last Friday and going to bed at 11pm would be the highlight of the past 4 days? Certainly not me, and I'm seriously doubting you thought so either. After all, I'm an international man of mystery who's slept in dumpsters and gotten drunk with kings (that's a Kid Rock reference to all of my Detroit readers)! The weekend should be my time to shine, but tragically not in this case. Lets start with Friday and work our way down the mountain of nonsense. And, come to think of it, Friday wasn't all that great either cause it was about 8 f'n degrees all day. Besides the weather though, I powered through work knowing that I didn't have to run that night. I preface any reference to my running in this or any past/future blog by saying in no way am I trying to compete with my friend Steve's blog about his training for the 2009 Louisville Ironman Triathalon. First, I am merely training in general for a full/half marathon in the near future whereas he is training for a certain event. Second, when I do a full marathon, it's only 26.2 miles, while the total distance of all 3 stages of an Ironman is over 14o miles. You do the math. Third, its a good idea for a blog, I encourage you to check it out and become a follower (he said he'd give me $5 for every person I got to subscribe). Back to Friday...it is generally a day off for myself as I work on building up my weekly 'long run' on Saturdays. So, I get off work and go home and get a good nap cause I had been out drinking til 2am the night before, good times! Upon waking up it was straight to Number 1 Chinese for some boneless spare ribs and hot & sour soup, but...upon placing my order...no soup for me! They're out of gdamn h&s! The cold weather strikes again, and this time it didn't involve me going feet over asshole on a public sidewalk. So ribs and an egg roll, we can deal with this. That combined with a few episodes of LOST season 3 and its off to bed.

Normally, Saturday mornings are my running clubs (Central Ohio Runners) group long runs. My attendance rate isn't very good as normally I'm too hungover and/or tired to show up. Today however, I woke up full of piss and vinegar only to look at the weather and see it's -5! Two words peeps: FUCK THAT! -5 at 8am on a Saturday? Yeah right, back to sleep for me. Brandon must have been tired cause he didn't wake up again until after noon! What a fantastic way to start the day, and a third person reference to boot! After a little breaky, it was time to head out for my long run of the week. Two weeks ago I peeked at 14, last week busted out 16, so the goal today was 18. Things were looking up as the mercury rose to 20 as I was getting ready to leave. Compared to the negative temps the past few days, this felt like a friggin' heatwave, 20 had never felt so good. The run was going good until mile 11 when a driver on a cell phone nearly hit me, thus causing me to change direction suddenly, thus causing me to fall on my ass....again. I need to clarify my previous Facebook status where I claimed I've slipped 4 times this winter. That is incorrect, I would consider 3 of the incidents as a 'slip', and 1 time a 'trip'. They're way different. Luckily for me, there was another car behind that asshole which appeared to have roughly 35 people in it, which all felt the need to point and chuckle as I layed on my stomach in a pile of slush. Seeing how I've already found myself in this position quite a few times this winter, I got up as if nothing happened and went on my way. 7 miles later I had met my goal and shut this running machine down, too bad I was about half a mile from home and my legs had decided to shut down cause when its very cold, you're sweaty, and you have to walk a while...things get bad. Long story short, part way home I had to cut open a fat person and crawl inside for heat, but after a while I got there. I'll get to Saturday night in my next post.

Here's the video of my favorite song of 2008, Kings of Leon's 'Sex on Fire.' Great song, terrible video. They're playing in Columbus next Tuesday....and tix on Stubhub.com are over $100 a piece, ridiculous. (Click here for the video, I was hoping to embed the video in the post but I guess you can't do that w/o having the vid saved to your cpu, sorry)

No comments:

Post a Comment