Monday, January 26, 2009

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS!

Actually, I just wrote that headline to get you more excited about this post...if that's possible. After a 4 day absence, I'm sure you're chomping at the bit for some new material from The King of Kings, Brandon C. Deagle, ESQ. We in the business call that headline tactic 'the hook.' Studies show that people who read the first sentence of a blog are 73% more likely to read the whole post than people who merely read the headline. Actually, I completely made that up as well, but if someone in the advertising/marketing field were to tell me that...I would believe it without question. But, you've already read this far, so why quit now? You're not a quitter are you? Only Taliban and Al-Qaeda are quitters, and you're not one of them are you? I didn't think so, so enjoy the rest of this post and the ones to follow that I'm sure you'll read unconditionally. Its been 4 whole days since we last talked and a lot has gone down in my world since then so let's get to it. Actually, this was a pretty quiet weekend so I'll probably write about something else.

Topic #1- In an attempt to expand my verbal horizons and stay mentally sharp I subscribed some time ago to a daily email called 'Word of the Day.' You can check it out here if you're not to vacuous. To pass on this adeptness to my glorious readers, I will be dispersing some of these words throughout my posts, to help you proliferate your mental acuity as well. It will be kind of a little divertissement that we, me the writer and you the reader, will play to see if you can find these appellations and start to use them in your everyday life. A game of cat and mouse if you will, except in this game everyone will be a winner because we will be gaining knowledge together (I wanted to find a little known, formal word for knowledge, but as it turns out there aren't any better alternatives, imagine that).

Topic #2- I saw 'Frost/Nixon' last night and thought it was pretty excellent. I had a really odd feeling though as it played out because I felt bad that I didn't honestly know too much about the subject even though it's fairly recent history. This made me feel kind of bad because I didn't want to let the movie make up my mind about Nixon, or David Frost for that matter, before knowing more about the subjects. I had never even heard of these interviews before so upon getting home I did some internet research on the interviews and who Frost was/is. It turns out David Frost earned being knighted in England and still does a lot of quality reporting (he does a video series called Frost over the World on AlJazeeraEnglish's YouTube Channel...here). He was even a guest on The Daily Show in which he discusses the Nixon interviews (watch Jon Stewart attempt to blow him here). The guy who played Dick Nixon, Frank Langella, was amazing and is deserving of the Academy Award for best actor in my opinion. Langella has played cocksuckers in the past (see 'Good Night and Good Luck,' and 'Dave') which served him well in playing one of the biggest uber-douches in history. From what I can tell about Nixon, the only person I think I can find comparison to is former college basketball coach Bob Knight. A bully of the most uptight and virtuous variety who thinks they are immune from the most basic social edicts because they feel they're doing work of a higher order. I get the feeling that Nixon, like Knight, felt he could do whatever he wanted at any given point because he truly believed the ends justified the means. In the same manner Knight, a true dictator, felt it was alright to physically and mentally abuse players, Nixon deemed it alright to break countless laws for what he thought was 'political containment' after Watergate. Overall, while I wasn't alive during Nixon's faux pas', I get the feeling the movie did a very fair job of portraying the man and the events the movie focus' on. Unlike Oliver Stone's 'W,' (which from what I hear and percieved from commercials) which was an all-out lambasting of George W. Bush, 'Frost/Nixon' made Nixon out to be a sympathetic character in some ways, a true prisoner of his own personality. The candid conversations between Frost and Nixon are the most interesting parts of the movie, I only wonder how much of those were actual discussions or if they were generalizations of shorter statements or perceptions of Nixon's actions toward Frost. Either way, I strongly encourage everyone to see it. While it was great, I can't say it was better than 'Slumdog Millionaire.' It definately wasn't as uniquely done or as entertaining as a whole. To be honest, after seeing 'Frost/Nixon' once, I'm not sure what would ever really possess me to see it again, not cause it's bad, just because I'm not sure what I would gain from watching it again. It did inspire me to do research on the subject however, which is something most movies don't do. Wow, that review went kind of long, sorry about that.

Here is possibly my second favorite song from 2008, Does it Offend You, Yeah?'s Dawn of the Dead. Super catchy song, terribly horrendous video.

No comments:

Post a Comment