Sunday, February 22, 2009

LOST Episode 4 Diary

Hopefully, everyone enjoyed the post yesterday about my list of favorite fast food restaurants. Thanks to everyone who sent some kind of correspondence saying they liked it in one way shape or form. It's taken me 32 years of research to develop that list and I'm pretty comfortable with how it turned out. A few people voiced concerns that I was trying to push my opinions onto them when nothing could be farther from the truth, I was merely attempting to start a fast food dialogue for all people to join into. I encourage everyone to create their own list, I think you'll learn a lot about yourself, and in the end...isn't that what life is about? Also, 3 people stated they were displeased with Fazoli's being left off the list. I can't agree or disagree with this point of view because I've never been to one, there's only 1 Fazoli's in Columbus that I know of and it's 15 miles away from my house. If I'm ever in the vicinity I'll stop in and let you know what I think. Let's move on to episode 4 of LOST, 'This Place is Death!' That name just sounds awesome, let's see if the episode can live up. (just a note, I didn't actually write any notes during the original airing of the episode so there isn't the normal time code that you're used to seeing. I could have figured it out while watching the dvr'd version, but I didn't feel like watching the commercials to recreate the true time. I'm sure you understand, if not screw off)

- The show opens with everybody at the dock like at the end of ep. 3. Sun pulls out a gun acting like a hard ass, trying to convince everyone she's going to shoot Benjamin Linus. Bitch please, we all know you aren't going to shoot him! I'm not really sure why this was even a part of the episode since it had -1000% of happening.

- Cut to the beach where the French people are trying to talk to Jin. While using their hands and words don't seem to be cutting it, Rousseau's boyfriend draws a triangle with some lines in the sand and manages to get Jin to figure out hes asking about a radio antenna within 4 seconds. Are Jin and this guy some sort of championship international charades team? How the hell did he figure that out?

- While walking thru the forest, the black smoke monster comes back to mess with the Frenchies. I have to ask, why does the smoke monster have to be black? The nice white polar bear never killed anyone. And look at one of the black castaways, Mr. Eko....a drug dealer. Seeing what I'm getting at here? I'm not saying, i'm just sayin'.

- After killing one of the frogs, the smoke monster grabs some other a-hole and pulls him into a hole by his feet, and his 'friends' decide to grab onto his arm. Hmmm...tug-o-war with the smoke monster? Bad idea jeans homies! I'm not going to say the guy got his f'ing arm ripped off in incredible fashion...oh wait, yes I am...cause that's what happened. Sorry French guy, nice to meet ya. Then his genius friends decide to go into the hole where the smoke monster is to try to save him. Well, they're French, what do you expect?

- A few small things I've noticed: 1- Jin's lips are chapped something fierce, fuck that would hurt. Hopefully the Dharma Initiative has some cherry chapstick stached somewhere. 2- They haven't shown any of these people eating forever. I would be f'n starving! Did the Dharma guys ever open up an Arbys or Quiznos on that damn island? I would be one complaining son of a bitch!

- Rousseau lives out every woman's dream and shoot's her bebe's daddy in the head without repercussion. Apparently, she also capped the only other 2 dudes they were with. This is gonna be some kind of movie on Oxygen channel someday, I can feel it.

- While trying to talk to Jin, Locke asks semi-Asian looking Miles Straume to interpret for Korean Jin, to which Miles responds with the zinger "He's Korean, I'm from Encino." Good stuff.

- Back at the dock in the LBC, Snoop Dogg shows up to help Ben Linus round up the Oceanic 6. HAHA, just kidding, that would be sweet if that happened. And, I wouldn't doubt for a second that Snoop is in Benizzle's Blackberry. Seriously though, Sayid threatens Ben and Jack that if he ever sees them again "It will be very unpleasant for all of us." I'd like to see Sayid torture Jack, that would be great.

- In the forest, Charlotte collapses yet again in an attempt to get attention. Upon waking she has a crazed look in her eye and starts ranting in Korean while peering at Jin. She eventually starts up in english again and tells Jin he can't bring Sun back to the island because "This place is death!" Outstanding scene, I think I'm starting to like Charlotte now, it's too bad she has to die. I might actually be upset at her passing...actually...no I won't. But she deserved to have a cool scene, and now she has. You can go in peace Charlotte, its your time.

- After 2 scene changes we're back to Faraday and Charlotte in the woods where she tells him she's been to the island before and was actually raised there as a child before her mom moved them to England. She tells him a story about how in her youth, a man on the island told her when she leaves she should never come back cause she'll die. "I think that man was you Daniel." Another fabulous scene, that makes 2 for her. That's the final nail in her coffin, they're just pumping her up before her death. This scene opens up a whole can of worms about what the actual relationship is between Faraday and Charlotte. Some people think Faraday is Charlotte's dad, I believe he is her brother and that they have the same mother. Time will tell, but they're definately related somehow.

- Jin gives Locke his wedding ring to show Sun when he finds her after leaving the island. He says that this this will prove to Sun that he is dead. I disagree, all this would prove is that Locke stole your wedding ring at some point.

- Back in the forest, Charlotte (she's now my 41st favorite character, with those 2 good scenes she cracked the top 50!) finally croaks, and it's final too cause they're playing the music from all main characters deaths. Too bad, we'll see what this does to Faraday.

- Cut to Locke in the bottom of the well and Dr. Christian Shephard shows up out of nowhere. I have to say that this guy is the single biggest thing I don't understand about the show. I don't have the slightest inkling about what his role is and why he's around. When we finally learn what his part is in the LOST story, I will be able to sleep better at night, I just don't see what his deal is in the bigger picture. But, as he talks to Locke about his task at hand, he uses the word sacrifice to describe why Locke must die to reunite the Oceanic 6. Oh man, is Locke actually Jesus Christ? The show has been taking on some more religious overtones lately so it's possible. After hearing from Christian that he has to die for the greater good, Locke replies "I'm ready," who like Jesus appears to have an acceptance of his fate. Then, a split second before starting the time leap Christian tells Locke to tell his son he say's hi. Locke responds he has no clue who his son is, the son being Locke's natural rival Dr. Jack Shephard.

- Back at the LBC docks, this time Snoop does show up to help Ben. Psych! Just kidding...again. And actually, they're not at the docks, they're at the church where supposedly Faraday's mom is. For the second time in the episode Ben gets in a battle of semantics, this time with Jack over how he came to meet up with Locke. Earlier he got in a childish argument with Sun over who she thought killed Jin. Ben could have squashed both of these arguments within 1 second but he had to be the smartass and make a comment just to instigate things a little. Nice work buddy, that's the way to get these people to do what you want. Then, just to make things real interesting, my man Desmond shows up.

So to sum up, all the French dudes are dead, Jin could use some chapstick, the LOST creators are racist, Charlotte kicked the bucket, and Locke might be Jesus. Good episode.

1 comment: